To Our Patients Information about a new Michigan Law:
Direct Access to a Physical TherapistYou Now Have Greater Choice with Your Health Care
Direct Access to Physical Therapy is Here! Coast Physical Therapy are Individual Physical Therapist that are able to perform rehabilitation therapy directly to patients without a doctors referral.
On January 1, 2015, a new Michigan law was enacted which allows Michigan residents direct access to a physical therapist. Direct Access is your ability to be evaluated and treated by a licensed Physical Therapist without first seeing your primary care doctor, surgeon, or other health care provider for a prescription.There are a number of benefits that come from Direct Access.
- This will give you much quicker access the treatment you deserve.
- While each patient case is different, clinical research shows that Direct Access should save you money.
- Physical therapy visits last 30-60 minutes so your condition is thoroughly evaluated.
- Seeing a physical therapist first, in many cases, will result in fewer overall treatment sessions.
- Some form of direct access to physical therapy is legal in every state in the United States, The District of Columbia and the US Virgin Islands.
Patients must receive a prescription from or be referred to a licensed health care provider for a diagnosis if the Physical Therapy care will exceed 21 days or 10 visits, whichever comes first. If you need a signed referral from your healthcare provider you may not have to go in for an appointment, as Optimal Recovery & Therapy will fax your paperwork directly to the provider to receive a signed prescription.
We value the relationship we have with our patients, and their physicians. We will continue to foster this relationship by notifying a patient’s physician of our evaluation findings and providing updates on the care plan as needed.
We continue to strive to provide you and your family the best healthcare possible.
Please call or email if you have questions, need care or know someone we can help.